EclectEcon

Economics and the mid-life crisis have much in common: Both dwell on foregone opportunities

C'est la vie; c'est la guerre; c'est la pomme de terre . . . . . . . . . . . . . email: jpalmer at uwo dot ca


. . . . . . . . . . .Richard Posner should be awarded the next Nobel Prize in Economics . . . . . . . . . . . .

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Ann Margaret and the Gubmnt Debt

Way back in time, when I was a grad student, we all got a big kick out of an advertisement featuring Ann Margaret (I think) in which she said, in a very sultry voice, something like, "Buy Savings Bonds. Help get your government out of debt."

It has come back to haunt us with this from this NYTimes account of Bush's latest on social security reform:
[H]e is dispatching his Treasury secretary, John W. Snow, to New York to reassure Wall Street that his approach, which could involve trillions of dollars in new government borrowing, is consistent with efforts to reduce the budget deficit and improve the nation's financial condition.
If I borrow more money, I can reduce my deficit? Well.... maybe if I can borrow at a lower rate of interest than I'm presently paying.
[link from Brad DeLong via Tyler Cowen]
 
Who Links Here